Saturday, August 21, 2010

Togetherness

Check out this article at the United Methodist Reporter blog.

On Monday, August 16 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that a religious organization that primarily holds Internet and radio worship services did not meet the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's definition of a church.
Think about how you define church. Do you think an Internet community, that only (or primarily, I suppose) worships over the airwaves / cyberwaves meets your definition?

The article asks if a brick and mortar building is required for an organization to function as a church.

I would so "no." No where in the definition of church is the requirement for a physical structure. I do wonder, though, if an Internet community is a church. The important factor missing is your presence with me. I know that communities can form on the Internet, but what about when you need a hug? How will I reach you? What about when someone is walking down the street, hungry? How will we feed him? There is an importance to be placed on physical togetherness.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home