Thursday, August 12, 2010

Miracles

I was reading a post at Reflectionary. A mother is grateful that her son survived the roll over of a car. She wonders about miracles.
I still cannot understand how he happened to survive, how all three of the boys involved managed to live through it. As a good theological liberal, I can't give God the credit without wondering why that same God would not intervene on behalf of other young people, or old people, for that matter. I only know I'm thankful. I only know I'm breathing deeply again.
I have the same tight rope to walk in my faith. I cringe when someone says, "God saved me from a car accident because he has a purpose for my life," because I'm sure God has a purpose for all of our lives. Why would he elevate one person's life over another? Does making a statement like that infer that God has no purpose for the one he did not save?

A pastor of mine, many years ago, taught me that when I didn't understand a theological issue, to place it "on the shelf." Set it aside, and move on, rather than letting it be a stumbling block. Eventually, perhaps not until the other side of heaven, an answer will be provided.

So, I'll stand in gratitude. Miracles, by nature, defy explanation.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack K. said...

Hi,how are you today?I have surfed your blog serveral times, your blog is great and having a lot of intresting idea. If you have time, you can visit my blog and feel free to give me some comment, more important thing is being my follower! Thank you very much.

(My blog is share-how-why.blogspot.com)

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home