Monday, February 11, 2008

Say What?

When we talk to our son G on the cell phone, and sometimes even in person, he often makes no sense at all. I assume that he is forming words and connecting them into thoughts, but what I hear does not communicate any ideas at all. It's gobbledegook. It's just normal teenage speech, but I think sometimes that I need a 14 to over 40 dictionary. And he needs lessons in how to not mumble.

I found a blog entry today that defined the word lime in this way -- slang from Trinidad & Tobago which refers to a group of friends hanging out together, either arranged or impromptu, usually involving food, and always beverages (not necessarily alcoholic). It's not hurried, and the location doesn't matter. To lime, as I now understand it, it to get together with friends just for the purpose of enjoying each other. Isn't that a good word? But, if I go up to a friend tomorrow and say, "Let's get together for a good lime," I am not going to be understood (especially since none of my friends are from Trinidad).

Do we sometimes speak, and think we are understood? Do you have a conversation with someone and realize that the two of you are on completely different wavelengths? Steve, on Sunday, watched two people talking to each other. They were both talking about Suzanne, but he thinks that they were talking about two different Suzanne's and neither of them knew it.

Our method of communication if flawed.

Why is it, do you think, that some of us are so certain that we completely understand what God is trying to tell us? Why is it that we become so convinced that we understand what the Bible is saying and that our interpretation is completely right? I can't even understand my own son sometimes; what makes me think that God and I are always on the same track? Is it not possible that we could be mistaken?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home