Sunday, February 10, 2008

In a mirror

I was reading RevGalBlogPals today, and found this sentence:
This psalm [#51} certainly evokes a deep sense of our own sinfulness, and longing for forgiveness. It is a "dangerous mirror of grace,"
If follow the link above, you will find an essay written by Walter Wangerin. He's talking about seeing the sadness of his wife -- her suffering that resulted from something that he had done wrong. He said:
But if I look away from her whom I have hurt, I have also turned away from her who might forgive me. I reject the very source of my healing.
. When we look upon the crucified Christ, we see the suffering that he endured because of our sin. When we turn from that, we turn from the one who is the very source of our healing.

Perhaps that is part of what repentance is about. It is a turning around; it is the recognition of our sin. When we look in that mirror, we not only see our sin reflected, we also receive grace.

We receive forgivness.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home