Monday, February 04, 2008

Peer Pressure

Our youth group meeting on Sunday was about peer pressure. The youth had some interesting observations, and I learned some things about youth:

  • One of the youth said that not all peer pressure is bad. Of course, she is right, but as we were planning the programming for the evening, I never even considered it. It was bright of her to realize it, and actually, one of the main items were discussed was the role of positive affirmation and encouragement.
  • There were many comments about "health class" and how the topic is covered in school. I was glad that our programming for the day included biblical links -- an aspect of the topic which I'm sure is not covered in school.
  • I was surprised that many of the youth didn't believe that they were susceptible to peer pressure. I know from experience that my own son has been, and yet when I asked them to rate how much they were influence by peer pressure, he rated himself low. I also have a feeling that we adults do the same thing.

It was a good program, and I hope the connection to the scripture gave it a twist that public school classes do not have. I want our youth to know that they are valuable to God -- that they chldren of God. Peer pressure -- excuse me -- negative peer pressure devalues us, our opinions and ideas.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home