Friday, February 01, 2008

Absurdity

Every once and a while I read something absurd on a blog. Things that are true, I imagine, but still just plain absurd. If you go read this post at Everyday Theology, you'll find a story about a youth worker who told a group of youth leaders in a conference a story. Apparently at her church, the youth were helping to serve communion until an adult member of the church said that s/he couldn't stand receiving communion from a youth.

So the youth were no longer allowed to serve communion.

Reaction-wise, it makes me angry. I'm a youth worker in my church, and I know that many of the youth are on the path to spiritual maturity. Sometimes their viewpoints and testimony demonstrate their closeness to God. Sometimes, I am nurtured in my faith by them. Many, if not most of them are confirmed members of the church. They are as qualified to serve communion as I am.

I do wonder if someone ever says (hopefully not in my church), "I can't stand receiving communion from a woman." Would someone stop women from serving communion if that comment were made?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I agree with the Everyday Theology someone should have stood up to this person. Sadly I doubt it will happen this person being older probably donates more. Without the proper outlook from the Pastor or church leadership the church will follow societies example and bow to money.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home