Monday, February 26, 2007

The Parable of the Fruit Trees

Once upon a time, there were two trees growing in a field. They weren’t planted close to each other, but just close enough that anyone standing next to one could see the other one.

Each tree was rooted deeply in the soil. Each received the grace of sun, rain, wind and birds, so that God cared for each of them, providing them with exactly what they needed.

One tree bore beautiful oranges – round, bright and plump with juice. The other one was heavy with pecans – hard, brown, perfect pecans. Each bore the fruit that he was intended to bear.

God’s children of all ages would come through the field each day, picking oranges. They pealed the luscious fruit, and devoured sections, receiving the blessings of its wonderful juice and sticky sweetness. They would then wander over to the pecan tree, and pick the perfect nuts, telling each other how they would use them in pie, or grind them to flour to make special bread. The needs of God’s children were met to completion by the fruits of the field.

One day, God was walking in his garden. He stopped under the shade of the pecan tree and ran his hand lovingly over its bark. “What is the problem, dear tree?”

The pecan tree, its branching hanging low in dejection, said, “I am not an orange tree. My fruit is ugly compared to those oranges. I am short and not very colorful at all. Are you sure that this is what you made me to be? I keep trying to grow oranges, but I have failed.”

“You are exactly what I made you to be. You bear the fruit that is needed by my children. You are lovely in my sight!”

As God walked away, exploring other parts of his garden, the pecan tree stood straighter, taller, and worked hard to create his perfect nuts.

As the sun sat that day, a very young child wandered into the garden. He stopped by the orange tree, and tried to reach the fruit, but it was all too high for him. He walked over to the pecan tree and slumped against its trunk.

“What is it, little boy?” asked the tree.

“I wanted an orange, but all of the fruit is too high for me to reach.”

“I have pecans. Would you like a pecan?”

“No, I can’t eat pecans. My mother says I am all-er-gic, whatever that means.”

“Oh,” said the tree in sadness.

The little boy’s stomach rumbled. He was clearly very hungry.

Suddenly, the tree felt his very lowest limb begin to tingle. As he watched, a small flower appeared, then faded away, replaced by a tiny fruit. The fruit continued to grow, until a plump, red apple appeared, so large that it pulled on the branch, weighing it down. The little boy’s eyes grew excited and huge as he eyed the delicious looking fruit. “Can I have that?”

The tree said, puzzled, “Of course you can. I think that it must be meant for you.” The young boy reached up, plucked the fruit from the branch, and bit into it. His eyes closed in appreciation as he was fed.

We are God’s creation. He will provide us with every grace we need to do his will. We should never worry about what gift we do not have. We should only focus on using the gifts that we have been given to their greatest potential. In the end, God is in control, and he will give us what we need to feed his children, even when we cannot imagine how his will might be accomplished. He loves us, and we are lovely in his sight.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, Your writing ability is surely God's gift.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I give Him praise and gratitude for whatever He might give to me.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! I'm speechless. You have surely turned on a light in my mind.

L. s

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home