Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Compelled

I was called compulsive at a church meeting this evening. I took exception to that.

Part of what I do at church is to coordinate our devotional ministry. Among a few other things, that involves emailing the devotions each evening to a group of email subscribers. Our pastor was complementing me, and said that I was dedicated and compulsive.


I took a moment, butchered Buechner, and said, "When God's need intersects with what we do, there is joy." (It's a cool quote, actually -- but that's not it). "I am not compulsive," said I.

Our pastor then went on to say that I was compelled by God to send them out.
Compelled by God. That I'll accept. I want to be compelled by God. I hope that I am.
Now, sing along -- you know the tune (Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?) "Wouldn't you like to be compelled, too?"


To compel is to drive. Have you felt the joy of being compelled? Have you felt the frustration of ignoring the gently guiding hand of God? I've felt both. Being compelled is much more joyful.
By the way, the Beuchner quote is this, and it describes vocation:

The place God calls you to
is the place where your deep gladness
and the world's deep hunger meet.
-- Frederick Buechner
Image: Trumpet and Joel 2:15 as drawn by one of the youth (Ryan) in our Youth group. It's part of tomorrow's Ash Wednesday devotion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home