Friday, February 16, 2007

Legacy

I mentioned in an earlier post in January that at the beginning of the year I stepped into the position of lay leader in our church. As I said then, I mainly understand "what" the lay leader is supposed to do -- the committees, the responsibilities. What I'm working on figuring out is "how" I'm supposed to do it.

Prior to becoming lay leader, I was chairman of the Nurture Committee, and I held that position for something like eight years. The way I started it, and the way I finished it were very different. Hopefully I got better at it as I got more experienced with it.

One of Stephen Covey's habits of effective people is to "begin with the end in mind." When I reach the end of this job in the church, what do I want to look back and see? The questions which are running through my mind are along these lines:

  • What does God want my focus to be?
  • Are there goals he wants me to take on?
  • How can I use the gifts he is given me to the most effective outcome?
There is a song by Nicole Nordeman called Legacy. I think that Steve wrote a devotion about it several years ago. As I was listening to it today, it struck home:

I want to leave a legacy.
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to you enough
To make a mark on things.
I want to leave an offering.
A child of mercy and grace
who blessed your name,
unapologetically.
And leave that kind of legacy.


Those are great questions to ask God. Those are wonderful goals:
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to you, God, enough to leave a mark on things?
Did I leave an offering?
Did I bless God's name unapologetically?
How will they remember me? I hope that when I'm done, what they -- my sisters and brothers in the Body of Christ -- are saying is, "I know God better. I love God more. What can I do to further His kingdom?

I hope they don't even say my name. I hope what I do is so transparent that all they can see is God.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home