Friday, February 23, 2007

Bread of Life

You may have noticed in previous posts that I’ve started baking bread. It’s a new hobby – prior to this year, I’ve never added yeast to anything. I always thought it sounded like something I would like to try, but I never took the plunge.

Steve’s brother and his wife gave us a new mixer for Christmas with a dough hook. It seemed the perfect opportunity. So I’ve begun baking bread. I love it. It’s persnickety, it takes a long time, it’s even physically demanding at times, but when I’m finished, I have home-baked bread. Our house smells like fresh bread. It’s soothing and wonderful. So I keep doing it.

Bread baking has had unexpected consequences – joy that I didn’t anticipate. I’ve had the opportunity to give bread away – that’s a wonderful side product of all of this baking. It’s a lesson in abundance for me.

This weekend the youth group of our church is participating in a 30-hour famine in support of the battle against world hunger. They will break their fast with communion. The bread served at that communion will have been baked by me. What an unexpected blessing that is!

The lesson in all of this for me is that God is able to use anything we have, everything we do, whatever we are willing to give for His glory. Bread baking? Who expects to find grace in baking bread? But I have.

Grace in abundance and without limit.

What we He think of next?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home