Sunday, February 18, 2007

Interruptions

I taught Sunday school today and encountered a difficult problem.

Our class is very discussion oriented, and as I teach a lesson, I am always encouraged when our class talks. If the members has things to say, then is reassures me that they are engaged with the lesson. Discussion is also an incubator for learning; there is synergy in the effort.

So, understand when I say that a member of our class today, who attends off and on, monopolized the conversation, that I am not against conversation. I strive, when I plan a lesson, to work in questions and comments designed to help the class members to discuss the issues brought forth in the lesson. It's a good thing!

However, this particular gentleman was relentless. I couldn't string two thoughts together without getting interrupted. When another class member would speak , he would do the same to him or her.

How does a teacher handle a problem such as this? What should I have done?

I suppose at the very least this can serve as a reminder to me that I am not always in control and that sometimes, it's important to listen to the interruptions, too.

Truly, though, I just wanted to ask him to be quiet.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim. I teach both high school level sunday school and an evening bible study. This getting off track tends to happen at least once a month . I generally try to answer questions and then steer it back. Sometimes it just won't steer back however, these times I just assume the Holy Spirit at work.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home