Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ashes to Ashes to Eternal Life

This is the view from my office window.  What this image (which isn't very good - sorry!) doesn't show is that when I left my house this morning, it was 0 degrees.  We've had much snow and now cold weather all week.

Our office is located in a Church building.  Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and the church held a "drive by" imposition of ashes near the statue of the Homeless Jesus.  I was a volunteer from 11:30 to noon.

The pastor of the church was so excited by this ministry that he stayed outside with us.  It was a wonderful experience to watch up close as he imposed ashes and told the recipient that he or she was ashes, but is also created for immortality.  He told us that some of the people he met that day didn't know what Ash Wednesday was, and after he explained it to them, asked for the ashes to be imposed.  And then a few asked about a ride to church.

On Ash Wednesday, we are reminded of our mortality, and through Monty yesterday, I was reminded of my immortality.  May it be so for you as well.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home