Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Outside and Inside

Adam Hamilton, in his book Not a Silent Night, quotes Alexander Solzhenistsyn:
If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them.  But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.  And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
This is an interesting thought.  How much easier it would be if there were "good guys" and "bad guys."  You and I both know that is not the case.  Why do I sometimes act as if it is?  And I'm not the only one.

Do you read Facebook?  Do you see the posts people create that judge other people?  I have a friend who says he is judgmental of people who are judgmental.  Perhaps I'm doing that, but I see people blame Republicans, Democrats, Obama, Bush, Muslims, Christians, young people, old people - you name the group, and we will blame them for something.

We even blame God, with remarks like, "God needed another angel, so your child died."   Or "I know the cancer is bad, but it's all part of God's plan."

This is a rambling post, but my point is that sin is around us, but we sometimes downplay the idea that sin is inside us.  Maybe that realization would make us less judgmental?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home