Friday, October 10, 2014

Can you see it?

Today I was once again reading from Kalas' book, I bought a House on Gratitude Street.  In the chapter I read, he spoke of a sermon he heard that had the theme of "If you can see it, you can have it."  The scriptural basis of the sermon was the story of Elijah and Elisha.
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, ‘Tell me what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.’ Elisha said, ‘Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit.’ He responded, ‘You have asked a hard thing; yet, if you see me as I am being taken from you, it will be granted you; if not, it will not.  (2 Kings 2:9-10)
Do you ever have the experience of sitting in a church meeting and feeling the weight of dread decend?  People talk about the lack of children in the service, the fact that fewer people are members of the church, the idea that people don't want to volunteer, and the list goes on and on.

I don't think we can see it.  I think we are so caught up in the negatives that we can't see a vital, healthy church.  Do we have the hope that we can be what God calls us to be?

If we can't see it, we can't have it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

Maybe not the response you thought you would get. Thanks for sharing the scripture about Elijah and Elisha. At the 5 Day Academy for Spiritual Formation, the Academy's logo was used. We were told it was Elisha jumping up to get the double blessing of Elijah's blessing and I was unfamiliar with that scripture passage. Thank you for reminding me and informing me. Peace

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt that negative dead in church today.

5:29 PM  
Blogger bob said...

Kim,I hope you are o.k. it's been along time since your last post and I do enjoy them.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home