Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Eight Years

I missed my blogiversary!

My first post to this blog was on November 29, 2005.  That's (counting on my fingers) eight years ago.

Much has changed in my life during those eight years.  My older son is now 20 (he was 12 when I started), and he is in college.  My younger son is 17 - he had just turned 9 when I started this blog.  He is about to graduate from high school.  I have a completely different job.  I used to be a research associate in a diabetes research lab; I am now on the staff of a United Methodist Foundation.  Steve (my wonderful husband) has also had a career change, and he is happy in his new work.  Our beagle, Molly, was 2 in 2005.  She is now 10 and a half years old and has a whole lot of white fur (that used to be black and tan).

We'll leave the counting of my gray hairs up to God.

The blog has changed.  For many of the first years I was writing, I posted something every day. There were times when I would fall asleep with the computer on my lap because I couldn't think of something to write.  I was afraid to not write every day, because I thought if I didn't have that kind of discipline, then I would fail to write at all.  That kind of writing and that kind of fear didn't always make for good posts.

Now, posting for the blog has become part of my daily devotional time.  Notice I didn't say writing. There are days when I write two or three posts, and other days when I don't write any.  I use a program called Evernote, and when I have the time and feel the inspiration, I write -- one, two, three or more posts (this is my third for today, and I feel more coming on).  When a thought for a post comes to me, I make a note (using my phone) in Evernote, so that I don't lose the idea.  When I have time, I can go back and write.  Each weekday morning, I post one of those writings to the blog.   Writing this way has lifted the every increasing weight of the blog the way it used to be.  I hope it has improved my writing.

In addition, I have gotten into the routine of not posting on the weekends, or on holidays, unless something special strikes me.  This has become a good solution for me.

I thank you for reading.  There are times when knowing that you are reading keeps me writing, and the writing is good for me.  I helps me grow closer to God, so I am grateful.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Still reading and growing as well.

4:43 AM  
Blogger birdwatcher said...

Like your posting, my reading is part of my "quiet time" - time with God. I read most days - but only one posting at a time. Kind of like savoring a favorite candy - and like food, they feed me in different ways, almost always giving me food for thought. Keep up - and I will keep reading. Thanks!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home