Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Discernment


During the night Paul had a vision: there stood a man of Macedonia pleading with him and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." Acts 16:9

Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. John 14:23
Discernment is not easy. It is a challenge to try to determine God's will -- to determine where one is being led by God. It really is a still, small voice sometimes.

About a week ago, I was asked to pick up a volunteer position for next year. It's something I would like to do, but I told the person who asked that I needed to think about it. I wanted wait a little bit of time to see where God might be leading me in this decision. All week I haven't felt any pull to not do what I had been asked to do, but I continued to hesitate. I finally realized I was waiting until I had found the time to sit quietly with God and think about it. So I did that today, and then emailed the person who had asked, and said, "yes."


But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. John 14:26-27
Perhaps the peace I felt as I thought about the decision should been a clue in the discernment. Perhaps I should have paid attention when the person asking had told me about her process of discernment, and how my name had kept coming to her mind. Perhaps I should have listened more closely to friends who were encouraging me. Perhaps all of these are sometimes the way God's still, small voice speaks to us. Perhaps there are times when the voice isn't still or small. Perhaps sometimes the voice is obvious.

Image: Mississippi River from New Orleans, new Jackson Square.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home