Sunday, March 07, 2010

Envious of Generosity?

We were talking in Disciple class this evening about the parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. It's the one when the people who were hired at the beginning of the day were paid the same wage as the ones who starting working an hour prior to the end of the day.

It's unfair. We certainly wouldn't run our own businesses that way. We wouldn't pay employees that way. I know if I told my boss that I wanted to work only on Fridays and be paid the same salary that I earn now, he would (rightly) tell me no.

That's life the way it is. Life the way it will be, the way it can be, is a life of grace. We don't earn our salvation, so to expect those who are found late in life to get less salvation than we do is illogical.

I really like the line from that parable that says, "Are you envious of my generosity." (or something like that.)

God's love is infinite. We don't get less because he loves more people. His generosity is applied to us as well as to everyone else. What is there to be envious about?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home