Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Service

I'm packing my bags, preparing to fly to Memphis tomorrow for a national meeting. I'm tired; I'm ready to go to bed. I THINK I'm finished packing, although I keep thinking of things.

I'm sure I've packed too much. I always pack too much. Why is that?

So, for this evening, a very short, little story. I was reminded of it by reading Lectionary Leanings on RevGalBlogPals. The blog post author was discussing the gospel reading about the "me first" clamor of James and John. She was reminded of the Servant Song, which was interesting to me, because I chose hymns today for Laity Sunday, and I looked at that one.
"Brother, sister, let me serve you
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant too"
A few weeks ago, I was listening to an Emmaus talk about Christian Action. The speaker told a story of how she loved the youth of her church. Each year, she goes with them as a Youth Leader to Ichthus. Her "thing" -- one of the ways she serves -- is that when they return to the tent, she gives the youth foot rubs.

She then told us that she didn't think she really had an example of her own Christian Action to share.

How amazing. How humble. How is it that she didn't recognize her own service when she saw it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home