Monday, October 12, 2009

Giving Thanks

Today, the second Monday in October, is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. You can read about it here. Martin Frobisher, an explorer. He was searching for a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Have you looked at Canada on the map? It's north of Chicago. North of Montana. North of even the coldest place (other than Alaska) in the United States. OK, it's tied with Maine in some places, but STILL. It's got to be cold and miserable, searching for a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean.

Frobisher celebrated Thanksgiving as a homecoming. He hadn't died in his quest, and he was back home. It HAD to have been a miserable trip, and he was GLAD to be home, I'm sure. Even if home was Newfoundland and Labrador, also cold (although lovely, I'm sure).

Each day, before I start my readings for Disciple, I write down items of gratitude, to keep my eyes open to God's work in my life. Sometimes the day is cold, and spotting those moments of gratitude is difficult. It's not that they aren't there; it's just that my attitude is wrong to find them. I keep thinking and looking, though until I find them.

For what are you grateful, each and every day? Do this in remembrance of him, for gratitude helps us to remember him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home