Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Shine

A few years ago, I was driving home through our neighborhood during a power outage. Everything was dark dark dark. We so seldom see real darkness. I stopped the car and turned out the headlights, then I turned off the car. All around me was darkness -- nothing was visible. I didn't stay this way very long; I realized that if I couldn't see anything, then a car coming behind me (I was stopped in our street) couldn't see me.

For some reason, all of the streetlights in our neighborhood are now off. As I was walking the dog last night, I realized that the only light on our streets was cast from people's porch lights or the meager light shining through their windows. In places where porch lights hadn't been turned on or where houses were empty, the street was very dark.

Christ is the light of the world. We shine that light for others to see. When we fail to do that, when we hoard the light to ourselves, then we leave others in darkness. And, really, what purpose does light serve if it is not allowed to shine?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home