Friday, February 20, 2009

Grace so amazing

A few months ago, an acquaintance came up to me at an Emmaus gathering and asked me to pray for her. We were serving on a team together, and I had been the assistant table leader on her walk, but that was the only ways we knew each other. She told me that she was having health concerns, was worried about some upcoming tests, hadn't told anyone about them, but was telling me because she wanted me to pray for her.

I was shocked that she would ask me to do that, but I told her I would. I did pray, and I sent her a couple of cards.

We served on that team together, and were coincidentally (?) assigned to the same table, me as table leader and her as assistant. We got to know each other better, and I was so grateful for her service at that table. It was a gift.

I hadn't heard from her after that walk in October, but I had heard that she was still having some health problems. You know how life is. You think about praying, but you forget. For a day or two you wonder about someone, but then you move on in your worries to something else.

As we were driving to work last week, JtM and I were talking about the lectionary readings for the week. There was a healing theme in the scriptures. As I read them that day, I noticed the theme. As I prayed, I thought about healing, and was just quiet for a minute or two. Three names of people came to mind -- people who needed healing. Before I could change my mind, or forget to do it, I sat down and sent them cards. One of them was this woman.

Tonight at the gathering, after I came out of the board meeting. I stood at the table waiting for dinner, when she came over. She said that she had only come by to see me. She couldn't stay, but wanted to tell me that she had had surgery. The day she got home from the hospital, that card was waiting for her.

Amazing how God works. Amazing to me to know how his grace moved through my actions to her. Amazing Grace.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home