Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Logos -- 2 Kings 2:1-12

One of the lectionary readings for the week is 2 Kings 2:1-12. This is the story of Elijah and Elisha. Elijah is about to ascend into heaven, and these verses describe his last period of time with his student, Elisha. As I read it today, a few thoughts came to mind:

  • I wonder why it is that prophets kept telling Elisha that his master was going to be taken into heaven. Is it to emphasize the importance of the event? I do notice that Elisha doesn't want to hear the news from them. I wonder why that is.
  • Why does Elijah keep suggesting to Elisha that he shouldn't follow him all the way? Is he trying to save his student from seeing him leave? I don't know, but it does remind me of Ruth and her "whither thou goest" statement.
  • The parting of the Jordon for them to cross to the other side reminds me of Moses, parting the Red Sea. Does that emphasize that Elijah is going to the promised land?
  • Even seeing the magnificent ascension of Elijah, Elisha still is upset by the lost. So will we be.
  • Elisha asks for a double portion of his teachers spirit. Did he fell unequipped for the job in front of him. Is it to remind us that God will equip us to do what he calls us to do? Is he saying, "let me be like you?"

I wonder how this passage can remind us of Christ's ascension. Are we called to follow Christ -- whither he goes -- and are we to be a reflection of him in the world?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home