Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Encouragement

Bob left a comment on a post fews days ago that said:
I think it is way easier to know when someone has impacted your life. Maybe we should take a lesson from the Sunday School participant who sent you a note and let people know when they help us grow.
I think that we all have a need for affirmation. I worry sometimes that my affirmation quota may be higher than it should be; I know that I have a need for it.

I also think that the ability to affirm and encourage is a spiritual gift. God knows our needs and have supplied people with the ability to provide for that need.

I have a friend who decided to write a note to a gentleman in our church, telling the gentleman how he had affected this friend's life. I watched this gentleman (the reciepient of the note) come close to tears as he told us about the letter. A few months later the recipeint died. I haven't asked my friend, but I imagine that he is very grateful that he took the time to send the letter -- that he didn't wait until it was too late.

God will move us to actions such as this. We do need to take the time to tell those who have touched our lives how important and transformational their actions and words have been. We need to tell them the difference they have made in our lives.

When we do that, we find that the action of affirmation is in turns a blessing to the affirmer.

That's how life is Christ is.

Image: Sunrise on HHS hill the other morning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home