Friday, October 19, 2007

The Circle of Church

I haven't read this book, and I'm about to tell you everything that I know about it.

In the book Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations, by Robert Schnase, he lists these practices:
  • Radical Hospitality
  • Passionate Worship
  • Intentional Faith Development
  • Risk-Taking Mission and Service
  • Extravagant Generosity

What struck me when I read these is that they very closely match the five part mission statement that our church's visioning committee has been working on. We missed extravagant generosity, but included instead embracing people with love -- which, now that I think about it, has something to do with generosity.

I think it all boils down to the idea that in order to be church, we must complete the work of God in a circular manner -- bring people to God, become disciples, and go out in service. As we do it, we worship God and we love each other. Miss any part, and we miss being a church.

Image: Candle on the altar at church.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home