Monday, October 15, 2007

How close?

I was reading the Adult Bible Series lesson for Sunday. It is based on the story of Jacob and the ladder. You've probably heard the song -- "We are climbing Jacob's Ladder." The scripture is Genesis 28:10-22.

I've read that before, several times. This is the first time I've seen a few points which were brought out in the lesson. In fact, I would never have called this a "God is Closer than you Think" lesson, except that as I read it, I realized that this author is calling on some of the same themes as John Ortberg.

Look at this scripture:
There above it stood the LORD, and he said: "I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. (Verse 14)
Note that God is not at the top of the ladder. Our concern is not to climb the ladder. God is standing down where Jacob is. "God is Closer than Yout think."

Note also that this is not some special place. This is just on the side of the road -- a place to stop when he needed to. And there he found God. He found God at this place because God was already traveling with him.

And next, look at this, Jacob's response to God's many promises.

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth. (Verses 20-22)
God has offered Jacob promises. God doesn't ask anything in return. Even so Jacob feels the necessity of bargaining with God. So he makes a vow. God doesn't ask for it. Jacob cannot accept a promise which he perseives as free. It's grace, and Jacob turned it down. "Wait. Let me buy this from you."

Image: Sunrise this morning coming off the high school hill.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home