Friday, September 14, 2007

Meeting Five

The Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals is about meetings. I'm not a meeting hater, although maybe I just go to interesting meetings.

1. What's your view of meetings? Choose one or more, or make up your own:
a) When they're good, they're good. I love the feeling of people working well together on a common goal.
b) I don't seek them out, but I recognize them as a necessary part of life.
c) The only good meeting is a canceled meeting.

My answer would be A. When they are good, I think that they have a real purpose.

2. Do you like some amount of community building or conversation, or are you all business?

I'm fine with some conversation in a meeting. That said, I have been in meetings when I just wanted to say, "Let's get on with it!" There are times, though, when the conversation is the mos important part of the meeting. Our Wednesday evening book study started out of non-agenda conversation at a meeting. JtM said, "We have those Yancey curriculum sets in the library. I would be willing to work on a class using those." And so we have. It has been a blessing. But it was not part of the agenda that night. Just God-touched conversation.

3. How do you feel about leading meetings? Share any particular strengths or weaknesses you have in this area.

I'm fine with leading a meeting. My strength would be organization. My weakness would be cutting off unnecessary conversation.

4. Have you ever participated in a virtual meeting? (conference call, IM, chat, etc.) What do you think of this format?

No, I haven't

5. Share a story of a memorable meeting you attended.Oh, do I have stories about meetings. Some of the stories I wouldn't tell on a public Internet page. I chaired one meeting once, and was also responsible for the devotional. I had read that if we would read 1 Corinthians 13 at the beginning of a meeting, we would be amazed at its effect. So I did. During the middle of the meeting, a gentleman from the street walked in. Our pastor got up to help him. Later he came back and said that this gentleman, whose name was Theodore, had decided to reaffirm his baptism that week at Common Grounds. Amazing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home