Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Anticipation of a touch

I'm thinking about Mother Teresa, and how she didn't always -- for long periods of time -- feel the presence of God.

I'm thinking about the class that JtM and I are teaching on the book God is Closer than you Think.

I'm thinking about a talk that I'm preparing for an upcoming Emmaus walk.

One the way into work this morning, I heard a song that I've never heard before. It's by Chris Rice, and it's called Smell the Number 9. Here is the chorus:

‘Cause I can sniff, I can see,
I can count up pretty high.
But these faculties aren’t getting me
Any closer to the sky.
But my heart of faith keeps poundin
So I know I’m doing’ fine,
But sometimes finding You
Is just like trying to
Smell the color nine.
There are things that happen in life that make me believe that God is very close. Those "things" aren't burning bushes, they aren't tablets handed down from a mountain. I don't hear Jesus speaking to me like Mother Teresa did.

But I have moments of knowing that He is close.

I'm working on this talk for Emmaus, and maybe a few things are starting to gel, but so far it hasn't clicked for me. There comes a moment, for me, in the preparation of a talk, when I can see it. I can feel the structure, I know the illustrations, I am reassured that I can reach out and take hold of it. So far, that hasn't happened with this one. I know I haven't given it enough time, or enough prayer, or enough quietness yet, and I will. It's the anticipation of God's touch that's making me impatient. I need to stop anticipating, and let go. Let God.

My heart of faith is poundin' so I know I'm doing fine.

Let go, and let God. Stop anticipating. And just breathe.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THROW IT BACK - THROW IT BACK ...I'm talkin to the fish ya know?!
Great post.

L s

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, done that (waited for it to click) on the Walk to Emmaus talks. My worst one was Priesthood of All Belivers - I dearly love the concept, but the talk outline just seemed to be circling back around on itself. Finally it became clear to me that the talk had to make sense to me or it wouldn't make sense to anyone else. After pretty much disassembling the outline and stringing it back together in something that seemed to me to be linear, it finally worked. The critique after the presentation in the Team meetings was affirming - all that points were covered, just in different order.

Let us know when the Walk and your Talk is - I'd be blessed to provide long-distance prayer support for you!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home