Sunday, July 08, 2007

On to the Next

The sermon in worship today was great. It was about the lectionary reading from Luke 10 this week -- the commisioning of the 70.

One quick comment about it before I close this computer down for the night. Do you remember this verse?

When you enter a town and are not received, go out in the street and say, 'The only thing we got from you is the dirt on our feet, and we're giving it back. Did you have any idea that God's kingdom was right on your doorstep?'
Remember that Jesus sends these new disciples out, carrying nothing? I wonder if this is perhaps another command to carry nothing with them. Perhaps he is telling them that there are times when they will be rejected as they spread the word about God. So often, we use that as an excuse to stay silent. I know I do. But I wonder if in this commissioning Jesus might be telling them (and us) that their possible rejection is not grounds for inaction.

And if they are (and if we are) rejected, they were to "shake it off." They were not to carry the rejection with them like extra baggage. Move along, because there are others who need to hear the word.

I have more to say about this passage -- the sermon really highlighted several things for me -- but I'm tired; it's late. Maybe on Tuesday...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home