Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bear each other's burdens

One of the lectionary readings for this week is Galatians 6:1-6, 7-16. As I was reading it this morning, I read it in both the NIV version and The Message version. Compare verse 2:

NIV: Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

NRSV: Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

The Message: Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law.

What do you think of The Message version? Does it seem to say the same thing as the NRSV or NIV version?

I often like The Message -- at times it really captures the spirit of the what the writer was originally trying to say. In this particular instance, however, I think the bias of the author shows through the translation.

Don't get me wrong -- I do think that what The Message implies in this verse is right in line with Christ's message, but in this particular case, I think Eugene Peterson has narrowed the scope of the verse -- I think it's meaning is bigger than The Message gives it credit for.

There is a song by Watermark called More Than You'll Ever Know. This line is from that song:

You have carried me
You have taken upon a burden that wasn't your own

I think that this might be one of the things that Christ meant when he said to love one another. We carry each other's burdens -- gladly and with joy -- because that's what community means. Our burdens are lighter because we have help carrying them. Other people's burdens are lighter than one would expect because God steps in and lifts some of the weight. We find that in blessing other people we are blessed beyond our imagination.

We don't stoop down, we reach out. We reach out to those who are oppressed, yes, but we also reach out to the person right next to us.

We do it because we are Christian. We do it because we are part of community. We do it because we can't not love each other.

It's grace, and it is amazing.

Image: Moon rising over the ocean. I just love the colors.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home