Friday, July 06, 2007

Freedom

What does it mean to be free in Christ? I've heard many people, usually who are not Christian, say that following God is not freedom -- that it's giving up freedom because it requires obedience.

OK, I can see that, but I don't agree with it. Read these verses from 2 Corinthians 3:16-18:

But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
So how am I free?

  • Following an equipping God can free me from the worry that I won't have the resources or the gifts to do what he wants me to do. If he calls me to do it, he will equip me to do it.
  • It frees me for joy. When I answer God's call, I am free to experience joy, and it's amazing.
  • I am free to praise, and I can do it without worry that my singing or my dancing will not be pleasing to God (I may not sing or dance in public, but I'll do it for God.
  • I am free from sin. That doesn't mean that I will not sin, but I am free from a state of unforgiveness. I am free to experience grace.
  • I am free to love. I have been and am loved by God, and am free to share that love with others.
  • I am free to experience gratitude. How great is that?

Freedom -- freedom from slavery to sin, hatred and loneliness. Free to be transformed into God's vision of who I am to be.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home