Wednesday, July 04, 2007

In Celebration of Declaration

Happy Fourth of July!

I was reading a blog today in which the author wrote that the USA was 231 years old today, if we counted in a traditional manner.

First of all, 231 years means that the bicentennial celebration was 31 years ago. I remember the bicentennial, and suddenly I feel very old.

The phrase "if we count in a traditional manner" struck me. I realize that today is the anniversary of our declaration of independence -- not the actual anniversary of the organized governing of our country. I also know that just because independence was declared doesn't mean that there wasn't a whole lot of work to be done before the declaration could be made reality.

I like that we celebrate the declaration. There is something special -- important -- tremendously difficult at times -- about the declaration. It's the first step in change. It can be the moment of stepping out in faith. The declaration involves our first exposure to risk. It can be the moment that we say out loud, "I am going to change."

It's worth a celebration.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Along the Narrow Path said...

The declaration of faith is a big step for a person but a necessary one.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. My wife and I like Bruce and Lisa already. We can't wait to see what happens once they are fully adjusted and know the community more.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home