Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Prepare with Persistence

I was baking bread last night. It was a new recipe – an experiment, actually – so I was embarking on new territory. As I began this “journey,” I forgot one important step. Preparation. I read the recipe. It made sense, so I forged ahead.

I never checked to see if we had all of the ingredients.

The recipe required 2 packages of yeast. I could only find one. I got Steve involved (he’s always cleaning up after me; he could have hidden the yeast). We looked through all the cabinets. I was sure that I had purchased another 3 pack of it the last time we were at the store. While we’re searching, the hot liquids that I was supposed to dissolve the yeast in are slowly cooling – soon they would reach a point at which they would be too cool for the yeast to start working. Just at this point, J comes in the room.

J: Dad, can I have a cookie?
Steve: J, I’m busy right now, looking for yeast.
J: Mom, can I have a cookie?
Steve: J, who do you think I’m looking for the yeast for?

Yeast was found. We did have more. So on the preparations went. Until it was time to add the oats (it is honey oat bread). Regular oats? Do we have regular oats? Search search search – yes, we do. Amazing.

Finally, every ingredient is found and added. I begin the kneading.

J: Mom, what are you doing?
Me: (thinking it is obvious) Kneading bread.
J: I’ll add the flour for you.
Me: No, J, it’s very messy.
J: How long do you knead it.
Me: 10 minutes
J: What does this do? Why do you knead it? What kind of bread is it? I’ll add more flour.
Me: No, J, it’s messy.
J: Can I have a cookie?
Me: Yes, have a cookie!

There are two lessons to be learned in this story. Preparation and persistence.

In the latest West Virginia United Methodist newspaper, Bishop Lyght writes about our journey from ashes to resurrection. Do you consider Lent a time for spiritual growth? Many of us “give up” something for Lent. Others think of it as a time of improvement. Have you ever been sitting at an Ash Wednesday service, wanted to make a response to the minister’s call for spiritual discipline, and realized that you would have no idea how to do that? According to Bishop Lyght, now is the time to take stock. Where are you? Where are you in relationship to God? Ask yourself now, so when Ash Wednesday arrives, you can begin the journey – you will know where you are so that you can begin to travel closer to God.

Persistence. Remember to not give up. Keep asking yourself where you are on your journey. Ask God. Pray. Listen. You’ll know.

Near the end of Bishop Lyght’s column, he says, “When we come near to the heart of God, we encounter joy and peace.” Amen. And doesn’t that make the preparation and the persistence worth the effort? Worth the sacrifice?

Note: Preparations for Lent have already begun at our church. We are writing devotions to be delivered via email to subscribers. If you would like to receive those devotions, email JMAdvent at yahoo dot com (You know what to do with the at and the dot, right?). We are also planning our 40 hour Good Friday to Easter Prayer Vigil -- for more information about last year's vigil, go to our Prayer blog (http://jmprayer.blogspot.com)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home