Saturday, September 16, 2006

Stir

I've been listening to another song by the group Downhere called Stir. As always, I like the whole song, but here is the chorus and the second verse. Read this, and ask yourself what, in this context, what the word "Stir" means.

We’ve got life to give,
So why don’t we do what we we’re saved for
Come along, why don’t we stir?
You know you and I could do so much more together
We are the new at heart, so why don’t we stir?

We are strong here, but weakness is for certain
To show our love here, we share each other's burdens
We don't mind, 'cause there is nothing left to fear
And Love divine is calling us out from here...

I've mentioned before that I like to drive the car, top open, windows down, music loud, and just sing. I really only do that when I'm alone -- at least the signing part -- but I've found that this is a favorite thing for G to do, as well. When the two of us are in the car together, we'll drive down the road, singing. Joy.

I was driving the boys to school yesterday (Friday), and I played this song for G, to see what he thought of it. It has a really interesting rhythm (to me, anyway), and is fast -- a great, loud, car song. I thought he would like it, and he did. I asked him what he thought "Stir" meant. Later I asked Steve. Here are the results of my very formal poll:

G: Why don't we all just work together and get along (I would never have said that, but I can see it now that he's said it.)
Steve: Stir the pot -- mix it up
Me: DO something -- Get things moving.

What does Stir mean?

With that on my mind, I went to the Emmaus Gathering last night. Brad's communion message was centered on the scripture John 13:31-35.

When he was gone, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once. "My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Now look at the bridge from the song Stir:

We are salting, lighting
We refresh like raining
We are love remaining

We are love remaining. I kept thinking of that line as Brad talked about loving one another as Jesus loves us. We are the love remaining. I know we aren't in it alone, and I know that the Spirit is with us, but when Jesus left (physically), we ARE the love remaining. We are the Body of Christ, and maybe to Stir is to be the love -- to share love with others (G's answer), to do something different -- love as Christ loved (Steve's answer) and to DO something -- Love in action -- (my answer).

It's time to Stir.

We are strong here, but weakness is for certain
To show our love here, we share each other's burdens

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this post - again dessert for my spirit. I went to the Emmaus Gathering last night because I needed to be with "Emmaus People." I knew I would be blessed and comforted by this wonderful group of folks. Brad's message touched my heart in a special way as well. Your message expressed it perfectly -- I needed, and received in full measure, "Love Remaining." May God bless me with the ability to offer the same ...

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

He has, and you do.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I was going to say. He has, Linda, and you do.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home