Sunday, September 10, 2006

Growth

When I was in fifth grade, I was the tallest girl in my class -- maybe even taller than most of the boys. In later years, I was not able to say that -- I stopped getting taller, and everyone else grew. Still, at 5'4" (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it), I'm the tallest female in my family. This is as good as it gets -- I'm done gaining height. Too bad.

There comes a time in left when we stop growing vertically. Hopefully, there never comes a time in life when we stop growing spiritually.

From The More:

And the more You show me, the more You grow me.

In his book Natural Church Development, Christian Schwarz says that God causes growth. We work and work to try to achieve church growth, when really, it is all up to God. Our calling is to provide the raw ingredients -- the soil, the water, plant the seeds, add the light, and then God causes the growth.

I like that image, and I see it applying to three area of church life:


  1. Church Growth -- So many churches, including my own, are struggling with how to grow. The answer to this, I think, doesn't lie in trying to find ways that will cause church growth. The answer lies in trying to figure out how we can best fulfill the calling God has laid before us -- what can we do that will plant the seeds, water the crop and prepare the soil? God already has a plan in mind for growth, and He can do that if we will just get out of the way. Maybe I am oversimplifying, but if we will just "get our house in order," find our mission, and act on it, then God will take care of the growth.
  2. Individual Growth -- I work with the Nurture Committee in my church. Someone the other day called it the Nutrition Committee -- I won't argue with that (although I think it applies more to the UMM), but Nurture might best be referred to as the Gardening Committee. Our task is to help provide the means of individual spiritual growth in our church. We do that through Sunday school for kids, youth and adults, vacation Bible school, devotionals, the library, age related ministries, family life ministries, prayer vigil, boy scouts, and whatever else we can think up. The list is long. None of it, however, causes people to grow. All we are doing is providing the water, light, seeds and soil. God does the rest.
  3. My Growth -- While I don't plan to get any taller, I do hope that I continue to grow. I am completely convinced that God is not done with me yet. I even think -- and I have no way to back this up, that even in heaven, we'll continue to grow. We are designed for growth. At this point, the only thing that can stop it is me.
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:11-12)

God has a plan for each of us. I'm sure that plan involves getting closer to Him, coming to understand him more, and allowing him to stretch us -- to grow us. Will He he ever be done? I pray not.

I'll take a lifetime to know You
Hold me Lord, keep me
Draw me closer every moment of my life


I just watched the preview for the new movie, "We Are Marshall." The last line of the preview is, "It's game day. Time to play until the whistle blows."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home