Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Psalm 139

I'm teaching Sunday school this Sunday. The lesson is based on Psalm 139, which I have actually mentioned before, although I didn't connect it until lately. Apparently, it was also mentioned at Andrew's Brothers. Then, in my "Rush Through" of the Psalms, I read it last Friday.

I read through the student book this evening, and a couple of thoughts jumped out at me (hopefully, more than a couple of thoughts will arrive prior to Sunday).

Quoting from the student book:

"O Lord, you have searched me and known me" (verse 1). For starters, it is an acknowledgement that God has invested himelf in our lives and spends time with us. When we think about how much of our life God truly does know about-- which is basically everything about us -- marvel is an apropriate word to come to mind. The word originally meant the act of staring at something, especially something that is miraculous, momentous or astonishing. We may not "stare" at God; but certainly it is right to fixate our thoughts and emotions on the God of the universe, who stoops to know us so completely.

Compare that to Sheila Walsh's discussion of Peter walking on the water. He only sank when he took his eyes off of Jesus. It was right for him to fixate his thoughts and emotions on the God of the universe. I was struck by the parallel.

The key verse of the lesson is verse 14: "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well." Last week's lesson was about glimpse of His majesty when we step outside our little worlds and take a look at what He has made. This verse would have us recognize that we ourselves are "fearfully and wonderfully made." Just like the waters and the stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home