Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Trust in God

Photo credit yesterday: http://www.hermanoleon.org/
Photo today: Me; Sky over J's school yesteday evening

Before I get into the meat of what I want to say today (stop that -- I'm not bringing up the cow again), I wanted to mention a statistic that I found when checking in on our Children's Church blog. That particular blog has our children's church schedule and monthly newsletters. During the past month -- March -- the site has had 68 visits. None of them have been from our church. People across the country are searching for information concerning Children's church programs and are coming to that site to read what we are doing. How cool is that?

Now, on to our regularly unscheduled broadcast...

In 1974, I was ten. (Yes, yes, that makes me 41 a little older older now...what of it?) My great-grandmother was in the hospital, very sick. I remember praying that God would help her to be better, but I ended the prayer, "Thy will be done." She died. In my 10-year-old brain, I had given God a loop-hole. It was many years until I was able to pray anything close to that kind of prayer again.

I am on the Emmaus prayer concern email list for our area. Near the end of last month, an email requesting prayer was sent to the group. A woman who had previously had brain cancer -- lots of tests, surgery, treatment over the years -- had just found out that the tumor was back -- golf ball sized, and agressive. She was asking for prayer. Her prayer request? She asked that we pray that God's will be done in her life. That's the most faith-filled, trusting prayer request I've ever heard. How very brave. I've never met this woman, but I would guess that she knows that God loves her and will care for her, no matter what happens.

When I grow up, I hope I have that kind of trust in God.

Psalm 62:5-8 (RSV):

For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. [Selah]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home