Sunday, March 19, 2006

He Knit You Together

I think that I may pick up the Promise Keepers discussion tomorrow, but I have to get up really early tomorrow to take S to the airport (avoiding two cars parked at the airport for the weekend), so I just don't have the brain power for it tonight.

Instead, I'll mention two things I brought up today teaching Sunday school (Psalm 139).

  1. I found this on a blog a day or two ago. I thought it was a nice list of Psalms, especially since that seems to be our topic in Sunday school lately, so I copied it and passed it out to Koinonia.
  2. I had fun with an illustration of the verse 13 -- "You knit me together in my mother's womb." You can't ask a knitter to teach about this Psalm and not use knitting as an visual. I had an afghan that I had started knitting a couple of years ago. It was one of my first projects. I never finished it, and it's full of mistakes. I keep meaning to "frog" it (frog is to rip apart -- the name is from the sound a frog makes -- ribbit ribbit = rippit rippit). So I took this afghan with me to Sunday school, and when we were discussing this verse, I gave it to Anita and Jean, yanked out the needles and started ripping it apart. Once I had turned a good portion of it back into yarn, I picked up the yarn and needles, carried them across room, and tried to give them to Mike and Kenny, asking them if they could put it back together. "Only with duck tape," said Mike. I made the afghan. I know its pattern and how it is put together -- its yarn and assembly. I know everything about it. God knows everything about you. He knit you together. I really love that verse.

Also from Pilgrim's Progress: "Your real new self will not come as long as you are looking for it. It will come when you are looking for Him." (C.S. Lewis)

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Psalm 139 is one of my favorite Psalms...

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just what I was going to say. I mean, that it's one of my favorites, too.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home