Saturday, February 18, 2006

Eight Below

We went to see Eight Below today. This is a movie that is set in the Antarctic. So think very cold and snowy. A set of sled dogs are left behind after an evacuation of the "camp" in the face of a coming storm, with the idea that someone would return for them in a few hours. I won't tell you how long it took to finally rescue the dogs. I also won't tell you how many of the dogs died. I will tell you that I spent the whole movie waiting to see which dog would die next. None of us enjoyed this movie. Beautiful scenery...really cute scenes with the dogs that make you think they were humans in dog fur. BUT, I left with a backache from the tension. J leaned over during the movie and asked, "Mom, are we going to see this again?" NO "Good, I don't want to ever see this movie again." It has a (mainly) happy ending, and you do love the dogs. Maybe it just wasn't a movie that we particularly would like.

Word of warning...if you do go see the movie, be prepared to be startled when you see the whale. It doesn't make any sense to you right now, but you'll know it when you see it. Beware of the whale.

The whole movie made we want to come home and hug our dog.

We've been watching the Olympics, and I must say that the moguls (a skiing race), the luge, and the skeleten are the strangest things I've ever seen. Short track speed skating is pretty strange, too. We've enjoyed the snow boarding (until I watched Lindsey Jacobellis lose the gold medal last night). Ski jumping must be as close to flying that a human being can reach without a motor or a parachute. Is it bad that I was happy when Johnny Weir didn't win a medal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home