Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Camera Lessons


For the last few weeks I’ve been carrying my digital camera around, keeping my eyes open, and taking pictures. It occurs to me today that the lessons I’ve learned from this could be applied to our faith journey and our relationship with God:

Be Aware – Since I started taking pictures, I’ve seen wonderful sunsets, sunrises, moons, snow….Did all of this just appear because I started looking? No, it was there all the time, but I have missed it. We need to be aware. God is there – we just need to look for him.

Know your Priorities – When I am driving a car, and I see a great “picture” outside the car window, I need to keep in mind that my priority is still driving the car. Priorities are important.

Be Prepared – To get the best pictures, have the camera out of the case (and the purse) and turned on. Spend much time digging, and the picture will be gone. Likewise, I lost a great picture last night because my battery died. We need to make sure we don’t run out of lamp oil – be prepared to see God.

Take risks – How many times have I said, “There is no way that I can capture that in a picture.”? Sometimes, though, I take the picture anyway. Take a chance, and the results may stagger you.

Be Oblivious
– That sounds strange when I just said to “be aware.” Sometimes we need to be oblivious to the opinions of others. I’m over 40 now, and this comes with more ease. Last night, the sunset was wonderful. We were dropping off G at all-county band practice in Barboursville. I hopped out of the car in the parking lot, and stood there; taking pictures as cars drove by. Yea, I looked kind of silly – especially because I one point I was taking pictures of puddles – but the light was fantastic, and the clouds were reflecting in the puddles. Sometimes in life, we need to be oblivious to the opinions of others.

Notice God’s glory in the clouds – I have noticed that some of the best pictures of sunrises or sunsets are taken when there are clouds in the sky. It is as if the sun’s effect is seen best when it’s bouncing off of clouds. We need to know that when there are clouds in our lives, the clouds don’t hide God; they accentuate the glory of God. (Note: As I read this, it sounds to me like I’m saying that God sends clouds our way so that we can see his power more clearly. I’m not saying that at all. What I am trying, poorly, to say is that God’s power is stronger than the clouds).

Act quickly – When a “picture” presents itself, if I want to capture it, I can’t go feed the dog first. “Pictures” only last a few seconds. In ten minutes, the “picture” will be different. When opportunities arise in life – to make your child feel special, to show a neighbor love, to make someone feel welcome – act quickly, because soon the opportunity will be gone.

Photos: (1) Sunrise at the VA, (2) Full moon in Barboursville, (3) Sunset in Barboursville

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home