Sunday, January 01, 2006

Goal for 2006

I've been working on reading the Bible from cover to cover. When I was on my Emmaus walk, I said that I would make more time for devotional reading, and I thought this was a good place to start. I've been using the book The Bible in 90 Days, which is an NIV version of the Bible. If one were to read 12 pages of this particular version of the Bible per day, one would have read the entire thing in 88 days (two days of grace, which I thought was kind of funny). I get up early in the morning, have some quiet time, light a candle (and turn on the lights, lest you think I'm reading in the dark with a single candle), and read. I tried 12 pages a day. When I would get through 12, I would feel overwhelmed by what I had read. And it took 40 minutes (which is getting up REALLY early). I decided that 90 days might be too fast for me, so I switched to 6 pages a day (rather than give up). This takes about 20 minutes, and is far more managable. And I can actually remember what I read, rather than feeling like I've been physically beaten by the book. Better plan.

So, my goal for the year is to read 30 pages a week. That 6 pages a day at least 5 days a week. I'm recording my progress in the sidebar -- how much I've read, and what my goal is for that amount of time. We'll see how it goes. So far, I'm in 2 Samuel, which is about David. He just became king. This is much more interesting that the laws and rules in Leviticus.

Do you like those progress bars? If so, go to Unlikely Words, where the wife of a knitter explains the whole things and gives you "cut and paste" script so that you can make your own. Need color help? Apparently, colors have numbers. With Unlikely Words' Matthews' script, you can use color names, but those are pretty specific, too. Go to this site for color names and numbers.

If I follow my schedule, I'll be done by July 10 of this year. Not 90 days, but it is at least a goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home