Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Wisdom of a Wise Man

Matthew 2:1-12

The sun was rising
With the promise of a new day.
It was a time when possibilities were endless.
He was a wise man,
A man who knew his wisdom.
Who some treated like royalty.
He had studied and planned
Then he had followed a star
To find a baby.

He needed no one.
He had crossed the world,
Consulted with kings.
And reached his destination.
He had knelt in a stable
And given gold to a humble child
Asleep in a manger.

He had been anxious to return to his own world
And confess to himself his disappointment.

And then an angel had visited him.
And told him a warning. A command.
And he had said yes.
Who was he to need help from an angel?
Who was he to need help at all?

The breaking dawn lit his face
The sun shared its warmth
He heard a voice
And felt a presence
And knew it to be God.

What is it, my child?
Why are you waiting?

I expected more.

What you had hoped for
Can not even begin to describe
What I have given you.
Your dreams are too small.
Your trust in me is too weak.
My gift to you is myself;
My son.
He will provide everything you need.

What could a baby give to me?

Set aside your self-reliance.
Turn away from your pride.
You knelt at the side of God
Only because I called you
Only because I brought you here.
Your knowledge of the world is nothing
Compared to what my son provides.
He will teach you about me
And give you gifts beyond your imagination.

What do I do now?

The world is open to you
A new day is dawning.
Take a different road
Than any you have ever traveled.
Begin today to know
That you are not alone
You are my child
If you ask, if you trust
You can do more
Than you ever believed possible.

The world has changed
New roads have been opened.
God has come into the world
As one of us.
Possibilities are endless
The gift is unimaginable
And after the sun hides its face in grief
Tremendous, unmitigated joy will come.
We will know the love of God.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home