Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Escape

Matthew 2:13-15

The rooster was crowing
Just before morning.
A dim light lit the sky.
The world was colorless
Black, white, gray
It had yet to adjust to the light
Which was just beginning to arrive.
A husband woke a wife
And told her of a visit. A warning.
They gathered all they had.
Fleeing danger; protecting their child.

The young mother held the child
Cradled against her breast.
Keeping him warm, sheltered, cherished.
As they road a donkey.
The father lead the way
Watching for danger.

The plan was for escape.
The destination was Egypt.

They had been waiting.
Time had been spent pondering
All that had happened.
Visits by shepherds and travelers.
A tiny son, born in a stable.
The wonder of a star,
And the glory of new life.

An angel had visited him.
And had told him of danger. Of terror.
And he had said yes.
Who was he to question an angel?
Who was he to question God?

As they walked away from what was known,
He placed a hand on his wife
To reassure her. To reassure himself.
Over the sound of the donkey’s steps,
They heard a voice.
They felt a presence
And knew it to be God.

You are doing well, my children.
Remember always that I walk with you.

Why would someone wish to harm a baby?

The thirst for power is sometimes unquenchable.
The consequence of sin is sometimes death.
I have sent my son to save a world
That will kill him.
His only protection right now is you.
Listen for me.
Listen to me.
And I will lead you.

Can we keep him safe?

For a little while
Until the time is right.
I understand the love you feel for this child
For I feel it, too.
For him.
For you.
I have trusted him to you,
And for now, for this moment
He is safe in your arms.

What will happen next?

You will take another step.
Each step you take will bring him closer
To his mission. His purpose.
Your salvation.
The time will come when the baby you carry
Will be a man. Son of God.
The impossible.
I have given you laws. Prophecy. Visions.
I now give you my son.

A light has come into the world
To vanish darkness.
To show the face of God.
Love will bring color to the world.
One new life will bring new life to everyone.
Everything will be changed.
We will know the love of God.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home