Friday, April 28, 2017

Logos: Luke 24:15-16

While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them,but their eyes were kept from recognizing him.  (Luke 24:15-16)
I've heard much discussion regarding why Cleopas and his companion didn't recognize Jesus as he walked with them. The simplest explanation, I think, is what the verse says above: their eyes were kept from recognizing him.

But, thinking about the idea of not recognizing someone, are there lessons in that for us?

I can't tell you how many times I have been walking, and passed by someone I know - and failed to even see him or her.  We get so preoccupied with ourselves that we don't connect with the people around us. Shouldn't wee see the people near us? Surely that is the first step to loving our neighbors - leaving behind our self-preoccupation.

Do you ever walk by someone and not see him? And I don't mean that you are preoccupied; I mean that you look away? Don't we ignore the homeless person the street, the grocery store checker or those rushing by us on the sidewalk? Is it true, do you think, that while we notice them, we fail to notice that they are human? We don't see them as fellow children of God? Surely that is another step in loving our neighbors - recognizing that person as a person?


Have you ever been in a conversation with someone and just think, "Stop talking to me. I am so busy - I have so much to do - and your words aren't interesting to me."?  I wonder, in their grief, if that was part of the "not seeing him" of Cleopas and his companion.  Surely that is another step in loving our neighbors - listening to them with a glad heart.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home