Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Notice what you notice

"Notice what you notice." This was the theme of Amy Shanholtzer's sermon at a recent Lenten luncheon at St. Marks United Methodist Church.

Notice what you notice. She asked questions such as:
  1. What was the eye color of the last clerk who checked you out at the grocery store.
  2. What was the name of the last server who waited on you at a restaurant.
I rarely notice anyone's eye color, and, although I hesitate to say it, I can't remember the last person who checked me out at a grocery store. If I'm there by myself, I often use the self-checkout lines. I also can't remember the name of the last server I had a a restaurant. 

I wondered why any of that would be important.  According to Amy, and she is correct, noticing what you notice means that you take an opportunity to notice God around you. 

Along those lines, if I pay attention enough to a grocery check out person that I notice his eye color, then I must be seeing that person AS a person - a child of God. If I pay attention enough to remember a waitress's name, then I am seeing her AS a person - a child of God.

Seeing someone as a person is certainly a way to open myself up to the presence of God.


(Hattip to Amy for the great sermon)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home