Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Revelation

In worship the other day, the parallel between two scriptures provided an ah-ha moment for me.  Look at Luke 5.  In this passage, Jesus calls Peter to be a disciple.  It's the story when Jesus tells Simon (later to become Peter) to put his nets out again.  Simon agrees, although is skeptical.  When the nets become overladen with fish, Simon is overwhelmed, and says, "Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man."

Now look at Isaiah 6.  In this passage, Isaiah is having an encounter with God, and he (Isaiah) says, "Woe is me!  I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips..."

In both cases, a man has an encounter with God, and the reaction is one of humility, and of an awareness of self.

What happens next?  Jesus tells Peter, "Do not be afraid, from now on you will be catching people."  A seraph touches coal to Isaiah's lips, and Isaiah's guilt departs him.  God sends Isaiah to do God's work.

I think it is interesting that in both cases a man has an encounter with God, and the reaction is one of humility.  The person has a greater awareness of who he is.  This leads to transformation -- and usefulness to God.

Jack in worship said, "When God reveals himself to us, he reveals us to ourselves."  That seems to make all the difference.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home