Friday, September 27, 2013

I'm not changing my mind...

I opened Philip Gulley's web page, and  I thought, in light of yesterday's post, it fits our discussion this week.  Read this:
Several years ago, I was speaking at a pastor’s conference and asked those present if their understanding of God had changed since their childhood. Everyone raised a hand, except for one man, who said, “I was taught about God at an early age and I still believe everything I was taught. I’ve not changed my mind about anything.”
Why would someone choose a spiritual life like that?  I know that we are told to have a child-like faith, but I don't think that means that we should have the same understanding of God that we had as children.  Maturity as a person will open new doors to a new understanding of God.  Other people will bring us new revelations. Study, prayer, worship all add to our spiritual life.  And then, thank God, God intervenes, and works within us to help us to grow.  I can't imagine closing myself off to all of that with the attitude of, "I will not change my mind about anything."

It might be kind of arrogant to think that you've got God all figured out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home