Thursday, September 26, 2013

Go Deep

Jack's sermon a few Sunday's ago was based on Luke 5:1-5.  In it, Jesus tells Peter to cast his nets on the other side of the boat -- to try again for a catch, even when Peter didn't think it was wise.  Jack said, "It is about depth.  Go deep."

Do we need to go deep in our spiritual disciplines?  Why do we not?
  • Is it a lack of time?  I think I fall into this trap sometimes.  I was at a table in church several years ago.  A church member was talking about something he had read, and another person at the table said, "I wish I had time to do that kind of reading."  I was a smart aleck, and said, "Everyone has the same amount of time."  That's true, but we all prioritize it different -- whether from necessity or preference.  It takes intentional effort to go deep.
  • Is it lack of interest?  As I mentioned earlier this week, I can sometimes get bored with what I am doing.  We need to be willing to change what we are doing so as to stay interested.
  • Is it fear?  Are we afraid to go deep?  In the depth live truths we might not want to face.  Going deep can require courage.
  • Is it unwillingness to let go of our past understandings?  Going deep can challenge what we have been taught or what we think we know - sometimes we don't want to do that.
God's sanctifying grace is always present.  God will give us the desire, the courage and the strength to go deep.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great questions. I think fear often drives the other forms of reluctance or resistance.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home