Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In the Image

Have you noticed, as you read the Old Testament, the propensity for people to try to be like God?
  • In the Garden of Eden, the snake tells Adam and Eve that God doesn't want them to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, because then they "will be like God."  They eat the fruit anyway.
  • Right after the Flood, humans build the tower of Babel, "with its top in the heavens." 
  • In Job, God says to him, "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth..."  In other words, are you God, or am I God?
I could list other examples, but these struck me today.  I think we often try to be God, or try to take the role of God.

So, one day God sent his son, in the form of a man, to show us the error of our ways (as one purpose, anyway).  I wonder if part of our problem is that our image of God isn't right.  We try to be who we think God is; instead, God says, "This is who I am.  Be like this."

Be like Jesus if you wish to be like God.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home