Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Thoughts on Exodus 12

I'm reading my way through Exodus and read Exodus 12 this morning.  What I'm about to write about is nothing new, but it struck me today because we are so close to Good Friday.

It's interesting to read about the Passover observations in light of the Crucifixion.
  1. The lamb for passover shall be without blemish.
  2. Hyssop shall be dipped in the lamb's blood and used to mark the door for protection.
  3. No bones of the lamb shall be broken.
Christ was without blemish. Remember the hyssop, dipped in vinegar?  Remember after his death, when they broke the bones of the other two with him, but did not break Christ's bones?

As I said, it's nothing new, but just struck me this morning.

What kind of act of faith was it for people who had been slaves for 400 years to dress themselves for travel?  Do we have that kind of faith?

And then, a question that makes me uncomfortable -- what does the killing of the first born in Egypt reveal to us about the nature of God?

And then a bit of trivia from the study notes in my Bible -- the Israelites were in Egypt for 430 years. The first temple in Jerusalem stood for 430 years. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home