Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Helpers

Fred Rogers often told this story about when he was a boy and would see scary things on the news: "My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' to this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers-so many caring people in this world."

Look for the helpers.

Did you see the helpers on the news yesterday?   Did you notice the first responders who ran toward the blast?   Did you hear about the people of Boston who opened their homes to stranded runners, brought hot meals, and gave rides to the airport?   Did you see the helpers?  

Too often I hear people wondering why God lets bad things happen.   We blame God for tragedy when the fault lies with the person or persons who murdered three people yesterday and injured so many more.   God is in the midst of tragedy.   God motivates helpers to move into action.

Look for the helpers, for there you will see grace.

In the very beginning, God realized that we needed helpers, so God created Eve. God is even characterized by the same word as Eve -- helper -- in the scripture (lest you think it is a subordinate role).

Look for the helpers, for there you will see God.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

I wish you had a "like" button like facebook- something that I could let you know I appreciated your posting without an actual comment. You are one of my "helpers"-

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home